Call for Conference Abstracts: Mobility and adventure through walking and cycling
In October this year, the City of Greater Bendigo, together with CycleLifeHQ and Bike Bendigo, are hosting a jam-packed 6 day program of presenters, professional workshops, activities, events and networking opportunities to discuss all things bicycle tourism and active travel in the Australian and New Zealand contexts.
The program will include Australia’s inaugural Bicycle Tourism Conference, to be held Friday 26 October, with its central theme: ‘Bicycle Tourism: Transforming Global Communities and Economies’. Preceding this, CycleLifeHQ will facilitate a half-day interactive professional workshop on Thursday 25 October for all local government authorities, community organisations and businesses wanting to establish, expand and optimise their bicycle tourism potential. The workshop will provide a practical approach and the tools necessary to enable destinations to attract more cycle tourists, staying longer and spending more.
After a weekend interlude featuring field trips and Bike Palooza Bendigo community rides, events, activities and the Bendigo Cycle Classic, attention on the Monday and Tuesday will turn to comprise this year’s Australian Walking and Cycling Conference. The simple acts of walking and cycling have the potential to transform the places we live, our economies and how we engage with our environment. The conference explores the potential for walking and cycling to not only provide for transport and recreation but solutions to challenges of liveability, health, community building, economic development and sustainability.
The bridging weekend will disappear before you know it, with a plethora of walking and cycling events and activities, continuing the themes of both conferences, allowing you to explore the region, network with others, and continue your professional development learning opportunities in and around Bendigo.
The event organisers are currently calling for abstracts from interested speakers relating to:
- Case studies on the impacts of bicycle tourism for your destination or company (mtb, road cycling and sightseeing/rail trails)
- The economic benefits of bicycle tourism
- Destination’s guide to planning, developing and realising bicycle tourism opportunities
- Effective promotion and marketing of bicycle tourism destinations and opportunities
Walking and Cycling:
- Case studies on effective programs, strategies and initiatives which have resulted in increased participation in walking and/or cycling
- Addressing the barriers and challenges preventing more people from walking and cycling as a mode of transport
- Active travel for schools
- The contribution of active travel to agendas for health and wellbeing; the environment, liveability and economic development
Please submit your abstract, of no more than 200 words, with a short bio and profile pic, to email@example.com by Friday 20 April 2018.
Would you like to exhibit at the conference? A limited number of spaces will be available at the conference venue for walking, cycling and bicycle tourism exhibitors. Please send your organisation and/or product details and expression of interest to firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday 20 April 2018.
We’re also accepting expressions of interest for sponsorship of the conference up until Friday 6 April. Benefits of sponsorship include:
- promotion through all of our print and online materials related to the conference;
- opportunity to feature as a keynote speaker;
- opportunity to host an exhibition booth during the conference event;
- additional dedicated marketing for your organisation through CycleLifeHQ social media and other channels.